Mechanical Engineering Technologist
Mechanical engineering technologists design, inspect, manage and test technologies, systems and procedures in mining, manufacturing or processing industry plants.
Duties & Tasks
Mechanical engineering technologists may perform the following tasks:
- design engineering factories and equipment
- supervise the maintenance of factories and equipment
- apply testing and monitoring equipment to determine the condition of operating equipment
- use computers as tools for routine design and analysis
- prepare reports to engineering management
- analyse and interpret engineering information and data
- work with professional engineers to make sure that the engineering plant is operating efficiently
- advise employers and clients on the application of new technologies.
Mechanical engineering technologists work in offices, technical laboratories or workshops, or on-site. They work in teams with engineers, technicians and tradespeople.
- enjoy technical and engineering activities
- able to identify, analyse and solve problems
- good oral and written communication skills
- aptitude for computing and design
- practical and creative
- able to work independently or as part of a team.