Medical Imaging Technologist
Medical imaging technologists operate X-ray and other imaging equipment, such as Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and Ultrasound, to produce radiographic images which are used in the diagnosis and subsequent management of disease or injury.
Duties & Tasks
Medical imaging technologists may perform the following tasks:
- receive and interpret requests from medical practitioners for X-ray examinations to be performed on patients
- determine the appropriate imaging techniques to provide diagnostic information for the doctor
- calculate details of procedures such as length and intensity of exposure to radiation and settings of recording equipment
- explain procedures to patients and address any concerns they have about radiation processes
- make sure patients receive the correct preparation for the procedure
- correctly position the patient and imaging equipment to obtain the best image of the area being examined
- make sure of the patient's welfare during the examination, including radiation safety
- develop the X-ray films
- check images to determine if any further views are necessary
- operate special equipment such as fluoroscopy equipment (which gives a moving image of the part being examined), angiography equipment (which gives images of blood vessels) and computed tomography (CT) equipment (which gives cross-sectional images of the body).
A MRI radiographer operates MRI scanners and ensures patient safety during the procedure to produce detailed images.
A sonographer operates ultrasound machines and related equipment to produce images for medical diagnostic purposes.
Medical imaging technologists who are employed in a hospital may work in the radiology department, use mobile X-ray units at patients' bedsides or work in an operating theatre. They work as part of a team with other health professionals, medical staff and nursing staff. Hours of work may involve weekend or shiftwork. Participation in an on-call roster for after-hours emergencies may also be required.
- enjoy science
- able to work accurately
- able to work as part of a team
- eye for detail
- enjoy helping people.