Anaesthetic technicians prepare and maintain anaesthetic equipment for operating theatres and clinics, and assist anaesthetists during anaesthetic procedures.
Duties & Tasks
Anaesthetic technicians may perform the following tasks:
- set up, check and maintain anaesthetic workstations, life support machines and associated equipment
- order and prepare medical supplies for anaesthesia
- talk to patients about medical procedures and check whether they have any medical conditions that could cause problems under anaesthesia
- assist the anaesthetist to insert breathing tubes and intravascular lines in patients
- assist the anaesthetist to administer anaesthesia to patients
- monitor patients and their vital signs before, during and after procedures
- maintain documentation before, during and after surgery
- assist the anaesthetist in emergencies.
- good communication and people skills
- attention to detail
- able to work under pressure
- good technical, measuring and computer skills
- organised and methodical
- good general health and fitness.