Instrument fitters assemble and install precise instruments that measure, indicate, transmit, record and control.
Duties & Tasks
Instrument fitters may perform the following tasks:
- fit and assemble instrument parts such as circuit boards, power supplies and control units, springs, bearings, lenses and glass faces
- check instruments for accuracy and calibrate (to manufacturers' specifications), using standard weights and measures, pneumatic, electrical and electronic test equipment and small hand tools
- install industrial instruments and equipment such as control panels, sensors, transmitters and controllers, meters and fixed cameras (if an appropriate licence is held)
- dismantle and re-assemble delicate mechanisms or electronic circuits
- overhaul instrument systems and repair or replace faulty parts using power tools and small hand tools
- check performance using testing and measuring instruments and make necessary adjustments
- set up computers and control equipment
- interface computers to control systems and check the operation of these systems.
- enjoy practical and manual work
- good eyesight (may be corrected) and normal colour vision essential
- able to do precise and detailed work
- good at technical activities.