Museum officers prepare specimens for collections, and construct and arrange museum and art gallery exhibits.
Duties & Tasks
Museum officers may perform the following tasks:
- clean fossil specimens, mould and restore skeletal parts, construct skeletal mounts, re-assemble fragmented specimens and make substitute pieces
- construct models and make castings or moulds of artefacts and objects for display purposes
- mount and prepare objects for display according to conservation requirements
- design and build display cases, mounts and other exhibition presentation devices
- design, prepare and install display hardware
- receive, ship, pack and unpack exhibits
- maintain museum files
- supervise and assist other workers in the cleaning, cataloguing, labelling and storing of specimens.
Museum officers work mainly indoors, although extensive fieldwork may be required in some areas.
- patience and a methodical approach to work
- able to pay attention to detail
- aptitude for design.