Signmakers design, paint, manufacture and install signs for displays, buildings, shopping complexes, signboards, boats, vehicles and structures.
Duties & Tasks
Signmakers may perform the following tasks:
- talk to clients to find out their requirements and provide digital images or miniature colour sketches if required
- select suitable materials for signs such as adhesive vinyls, LEDs and LCDs, timber, plastic, metal or glass
- prepare surfaces (by filling any holes, sanding and cleaning)
- mix oil paint, enamel, plastic paint, poster colour or varnish
- digitally design, sketch or draw letters and images with a template (pattern), paint the background if required and paint or print the sign
- create two-dimensional or three-dimensional lettering using router, laser or rotary engraving as well as graphics using computer-operated machinery
- design custom vehicle art, wall murals, screen prints and gold-leaf work.
Signmakers work both indoors and outdoors, and spend some time on ladders or scaffolding. They may be required to work in confined spaces or use toxic substances.
- enjoys and displays ability in drawing and design
- organisational and analytical skills
- willing to work at heights
- good eyesight (may be corrected) and normal colour vision
- good oral and written communication skills
- good computer skills
- good at working with hands
- willing to work both indoors and outdoors.