Interior decorators plan and implement decoration schemes for homes, offices, shops, hotels and venues.
Duties & Tasks
Interior decorators may perform the following tasks:
- advise clients on the selection of colour schemes, layout, lighting, furniture, floor coverings, curtains, paint, wallpaper and hardware products (such as curtain fittings)
- visit clients' premises to look at existing conditions and make measurements
- provide sketch designs, specifications and cost estimates to the client for approval
- supervise and coordinate the installation and arrangement of furniture and furnishings
- undertake direct selling if working in a retail shop.
Interior decorators may have to work extended or irregular hours to meet clients' needs.
- good understanding of colour
- able to promote ideas
- awareness of fashion and design trends
- able to interact well with a variety of people.