Body artists decorate or modify the face or body of their customers using techniques such as tattooing and piercing.
While some body artists perform a combination of these techniques, it is not uncommon for a body artist to specialise in one area, such as tattooing or piercing.
Duties & Tasks
Body artists may perform the following tasks:
- consult with customers to discuss the services they require
- maintain, clean and sterilise equipment and rooms to meet the requirements of the State Skin Penetration Laws
- design tattoos and make line drawings from photocopies
- make stencils for tattoos
- make piercings using needles, and tattoos using a tattoo machine, ensuring high standards of hygiene and contamination control
- advise customers on after-care procedures
- promote themselves to increase client numbers.
Body artists work indoors and may be required to work evenings and weekends.
- good interpersonal skills and an ability to put the customer at ease
- steady hand
- good personal hygiene
- responsible attitude to work (to eliminate risk of transmitting blood-borne viruses)
- comfortable with needles
- self-promotion skills
- artistic ability (for a tattooist).