Trade Measurement Officer
Trade measurement officers monitor the marketplace with respect to goods sold by measure to ensure the accuracy of claimed or advertised measurements and fair trading. Typical transactions using measurement include fuel purchased for motor vehicles and goods purchased by weight in supermarkets.
Duties & Tasks
Trade measurement officers may perform the following tasks:
- test weighing and measuring equipment for accuracy
- calibrate weights and measures to national measurement standards
- conduct accuracy checks on goods sold by weight or measure (pre-packed food, for example)
- apply the trade measurement law and investigate any fraud and prosecute if necessary
- prepare briefs of evidence and instruct legal staff in the conduct of enforcement actions in the courts
- provide advice and deliver education and promotion programs to traders and licensed repairers.
The work is performed at service stations, oil depots, airports, stores, supermarkets, factories and warehouses.
- enjoy technical work
- good communication skills
- able to perform calculations accurately
- Australian citizenship or permanent residency.