Insurance agents represent insurance companies and sell insurance to clients, including individuals and organisations.
Duties & Tasks
Insurance agents may perform the following tasks:
- draw up lists of clients from a variety of sources
- contact potential clients, usually by telephone, to arrange interviews
- research new insurance products to assist current and potential clients in making choices
- interview clients to identify their insurance needs and how insurance policies might meet those needs
- write an insurance recommendation list or plan to assist the client to make an informed decision
- explain to clients the details of insurance policies including the risks for which they are covered, the rates and the benefits
- recommend an appropriate amount and type of cover to individual clients
- collect premiums and keep records of payments
- regularly review clients' circumstances to make sure that the level of insurance is appropriate
- assist clients in the event of a claim
- negotiate with insurance companies on behalf of clients.
Some insurance agents are also licensed financial planners and/or investment advisers.
- good communication skills
- good interpersonal skills
- perseverance and motivation
- aptitude for working with figures
- confidence in selling products
- well presented.