Recyclers collect, sort and handle a range of recyclable items such as paper, glass, metals and plastics that are then processed and prepared for resale.
Duties & Tasks
Recyclers may perform the following tasks:
- separate recyclable items according to type
- work out payment to customers
- manually prepare recyclable products
- operate a forklift
- find markets for sale of products
- deliver products to market for resale
- seek to increase and promote recycling
- assist or provide advice in the development of on-site technology for more efficient handling of recyclable items
- assist or provide advice in minimising and avoiding waste.
Recyclable products are collected from community groups, commercial hotels and clubs, households and industry.
Recyclers work in conditions that can be dirty and unhygienic.
- enjoy practical work
- understand the benefits of reducing waste and recycling
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- aware of public health and personal hygiene issues.