Winery workers are involved in growing grapes and making, bottling, warehousing, packaging, distributing and selling wine in Australia and overseas.
Duties & Tasks
Winery workers may perform the following tasks:
- prepare soil, plant vines and cultivate and fertilise crops
- construct wire trellises to support vines and fruit
- control weeds, diseases and pests
- assist with grape picking and, after harvest, vine pruning
- assist in making wine by operating equipment to crush and ferment the grapes
- assist in bottle fermentation by twining (turning the bottles) and re-topping during the process (for sparkling wines)
- operate equipment to clarify and filter wine
- make additions to wine, and blend and transfer wine during maturation
- prepare wine for bottling
- assist with barrel work and racking
- assist with bottling, corking and general cleaning
- assist in forwarding export orders
- operate cellar door, including sales and administration.
A winery supervisor provides on-the-job training to lower-level employees. Duties may include supervising process operations and coordinating the activities of workers; collecting, analysing and presenting statistical data; and carrying out environmental management programs including food safety and occupational health and safety procedures.
- enjoy practical activities
- able to undertake manual work
- able to work quickly and reliably
- good with numbers
- good oral and written communication skills
- safety conscious.