Timber Harvesting Operator
Timber harvesting operators undertake a range of tasks to do with the harvesting and maintenance of trees in natural forests and plantations, including logging, felling and sawing trees.
Duties & Tasks
Timber harvesting operators may perform the following tasks:
- remove or trim branches and tree tops
- load and transport logs
- clear area around intended fall of each tree
- plan the tree felling and bucking (sawing into logs)
- operate manual and machine saws to fell and buck trees
- operate machinery such as loading machines, excavators and bulldozers
- maintain equipment
- maintain strict occupational health and safety requirements.
A tree faller operates manual and machine saws to fell and buck trees.
Timber harvesting operators usually work under the supervision of a senior tree faller. They work outside, often in a team. They may be required to live in, or travel to, regional or remote areas for work.
- able to undertake manual and heavy work
- observant and methodical
- good communication skills
- enjoy outdoor work
- enjoy working in teams
- alert and safety conscious.