Garbage collectors collect household, commercial and industrial waste for disposal or recycling.
Duties & Tasks
Garbage collectors may perform the following tasks:
- ride in or on garbage trucks
- collect waste and load it into bins or trucks
- return empty domestic bins to footpath
- report incidences of graffiti
- operate forklift and compacting equipment
- drive trucks, street sweeping machines or machinery at rubbish tips.
Garbage collectors may operate their own business or work within a partnership collecting garbage bags and other rubbish from domestic and commercial premises.
Garbage collectors work outdoors in all weather conditions. They may work early in the morning and at night.
- enjoy outdoor and practical work
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job.