Fire Protection Technician
Fire protection technicians commission, install, test and maintain fire protection systems and equipment in buildings and other facilities to provide life, property and environmental protection.
Duties & Tasks
Fire protection technicians may perform the following tasks:
- install fire detection and alarm systems, fire suppression systems and firefighting equipment
- regularly inspect and service equipment and systems to ensure they are operational
- advise building owners on building standards and codes
- inform building owners of new systems and equipment.
Fire protection technicians travel to homes and business to inspect and service fire protection systems and equipment, and may also spend time at the office or workshop of their employer. They may work in conjunction with designers, engineers, building surveyors, fire authorities, builders, contractors and other tradespeople. They may work on new buildings and facilities under construction or alter or service existing buildings and facilities.
- enjoy practical work
- good communication skills
- neat personal appearance
- mechanical aptitude
- able to interpret and apply technical regulations, codes and standards
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job.